The first-ever Hawaii Small Business Conference was held May 3, 4, 2017 with the theme DESIGN, PROTECT ENGAGE: Small Business Strategies for Success. Presented by MEDB in collaboration with County of Maui Mayor’s Office of Economic Development.
With small business making up over 90 percent of the business community and employing half of our state’s employees, the conference provides the opportunity to increase business knowledge, sharpen professional acumen and skills, and to network with the business community.
Maui business owners and employees heard from experts on customers service, change management, marketing, data security, risk management, tax strategies.
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
KEYNOTE ADDRESS: BOTTOM LINE CHANGE | Maggie Bayless, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, ZingTrain
A Case Study with Na Hoaloha Ekolu Ltd. | Moderated by Maggie Bayless
Michael Moore, President, Na Hoaloha Ekolu, Ltd.
THE POWER OF SERVICE IN SMALL BUSINESS SUCCESS | Petra Marquart, President, Petra Marquart and Associates
Case Studies in Customer Service | Moderated by Petra Marquart
Karen Christenson, Vice President, Mama’s Fish House
Aric Nakashima, Owners, Pukalani Superette
Cathy Nobriga Kim, President & General Manager, Maui Ice & Soda Works
POWERFUL MARKETING STRATEGIES ON A SMALL BUSINESS BUDGET | Albert Samuelian, Managing Director West and Strategy, OMD
DATA SECURITY AND SMALL BUSINESS: DON’T LET THE BAD GUYS GET YOU | Special Agent Edward Arias, InfraGard Coordinator, Cyber Squad (CY-1), Honolulu Division, Federal Bureau of Investigation; AND Matt Freeman, Sr. Manager, IP & Managed Services, Hawaiian Telcom
RISK MANAGEMENT: WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THAT? | Drew Nagai, CPCU, ALCM, APA, Assistant Vice President Sales & Marketing, Risk & Safety Management, First Insurance Company of Hawaii
Case Studies in Risk Management | Moderated by Drew Nagai
Ned Davis, Founder & CEO, Maui Innovation Group
Saedene Ota, Principal, Sae Design
Workshops – Thursday, May 4, 2017
- Customer Service | Petra Marquart, President, Petra Marquart and Associates
- Tax Strategies | Kent H. Kasaoka, CPA, CGMA, Director, Accounting & Tax Solutions (AATS)
- Bottom Line Change | Maggie Bayless, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, ZingTrain
- Marketing and Media Strategies | Albert Samuelian, Managing Director West and Strategy, OMD
Mahalo to our 2017 Sponsors
- Buchanan Branding
- Dept of Business, Economic Development & Tourism
- DBEDT – Small Business Regulatory Review Board
- Hawaiian Telcom
- Maui Cohana
- Maui Economic Development Board
- Maui News
- Maui Printing Company
- My Golden Words – Constant Contact
- Office of Economic Development, Maui County
- Pacific IT Support
- Small Business Development Center, Maui
- Small Wonder Video Services
- Sol Chiropractic Inc.
- UH Maui College & Maui Food Innovation Center
- USDA, Rural Development U.S. Small Business Administration